Due to the ongoing limitations of the COVID-19 pandemic, we will stay on top of health guidelines and work with each local partner organization to determine whether DocuClub screenings will be held in person or virtually. Virtual screenings will be held on the Eventive platform, and feedback discussions will take place in a Zoom meeting immediately following screenings.
We accept applications on a year-round, rolling basis from independent filmmakers. Details related to preferred screening times will be included in the online application.
For questions on participating in DocuClub please email email@example.com. If you need accessibility assistance in the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (213) 232-1660 ext 209.
- The applicant must be 18 years of age or older.
- The applicant must be an independent producer and/or director of the original project. For the purposes of this program, an independent filmmaker is a content creator who both owns the copyright of their work and has full artistic, budgetary, and editorial control of the documentary project. Documentaries being produced for or under the direction of a third party, such as a broadcast entity, university, foundation, or nonprofit organization (excluding a fiscal sponsor) are ineligible.
- If applying for Hawaiʻi region (in partnership with Hawaiʻi Women in Filmmaking), applicant must self-identify as a woman or gender-nonconforming person.
- If applying for Midwest region (in partnership with Sisters in Cinema), applicant must self-identify as a Black woman or gender-nonconforming person.
- The project must be in post-production at the late rough or fine cut stage at the time of the screening—almost finished but with room for changes based on feedback. The project cannot be picture locked.
Accepted documentary formats:
- Short: any length up to 40 minutes. Depending on the run time, the project may be presented with another short or series.
- Feature: only up to 90 minutes of the project will be screened.
- Series: at least one episode must be screened, with a maximum total run time of 90 minutes. Depending on the run time, the project may be presented with another short or series.
- The project must have a direct connection to the region you apply for - either a key creative team member (Director, Producer, Editor) must reside in that region OR the film takes place in that region. Selected Director/Producer/Editor must attend the screening.
- Student films are ineligible.