DocuClub 2023 Work-in-Progress Screening Series
In 2023, DocuClub will be holding in-person screenings. Due to the ongoing limitations of the COVID-19 pandemic, however, we will continue to monitor public health and safety guidelines and adjust if necessary. Screening dates will be set in advance by IDA and our partner organizations, and filmmakers must indicate which screening dates they prefer. Unless otherwise stated, all screenings will be held on a Monday at 7pm local time.
Our partner organizations for 2023 are:
- DCTV Firehouse Cinema (New York)
- Film Independent (Los Angeles) - July 10
- Hawai'i Women in Filmmaking (Hawai'i) - August 21
- More to be announced soon!
Submissions will be accepted on a rolling basis, but we will make selections up until 6 weeks before each screening date. We are currently only accepting submissions from Hawai'i-based women and non-binary filmmakers.
For questions about participating in DocuClub, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you need accessibility assistance in the application process, please email email@example.com or call (213) 232-1660 ext 209.
- The applicant must be 18 years of age or older.
- The applicant must be an independent producer and/or director of the original project. For the purposes of this program, an independent filmmaker is a content creator who both owns the copyright of their work and has full artistic, budgetary, and editorial control of the documentary project. Documentaries being produced for or under the direction of a third party, such as a broadcast entity, university, foundation, or nonprofit organization (excluding a fiscal sponsor) are ineligible.
- The project must be in post-production at the late rough or early fine cut stage at the time of the screening with room for changes based on feedback. The project cannot be picture locked.
Accepted documentary formats:
- Short: any length up to 40 minutes. Depending on the run time, the project may be presented with another short or series.
- Feature: only up to 90 minutes of the project will be screened.
- Series: at least one episode must be screened, with a maximum total run time of 90 minutes. Depending on the run time, the project may be presented with another short or series.
- The project must have a direct connection to the region you apply for - either a key creative team member (Director, Producer, Editor) must reside in that region OR the film takes place in that region. Selected Director/Producer/Editor must attend the screening.
- Student films are ineligible.